Skin Removal Surgery
After losing a significant amount of weight, a person is left with excess loose skin that can cause a number of problems. Fortunately, there are certain skin removal surgery procedures that are performed in order to remove that skin. The goal of the surgery is usually to remove sagging skin and restore the attractive proportions of the body. Despite the fact that these procedures can leave scars, most people find the scars a good trade off for an improved appearance.
What causes loose skin?
The major cause for loose skin is usually a loss of excessive weight, which could either be through a weight loss surgery or through dieting and exercising. The amount of loose skin left after weight loss will depend on a person’s age and how much weight they lost. Age matters because as the skin ages, it loses collagen and elasticity. This means that once stretched, the skin will not have the ability to return to its original size.
What problems are caused by excess loose skin?
Loose skin can cause a number of problems. First, it can be very frustrating and a person can suffer from low self-esteem even though they have worked so hard just to lose their weight. It can also alter the shape of their body making it hard to fit into clothes they initially thought they would be able to wear after losing weight. The excess skin can also rub and chafe, which can cause irritation or infections especially if the folds are not cleaned properly.
Body contouring are the procedures done to remove excess skin and correct a body shape. There are various types of body contouring procedures one can choose from depending on the amount of excess skin they intend to lose. Body contouring procedures also include the removal of stubborn fat deposits that are left after losing weight.
Different types of body contouring procedures:
- Liposuction – The most popular body contouring procedure and it involves the removal of fat cells from different parts of the body.
- Abdominoplasty – Also known as tummy tuck and it involves the removal of excess fat and skin from the midsection tightening the abdominal muscles.
- Breast lift – This could include reduction or augmentation.
- Lower body lift – This involves the removal of excess skin from the abdomen, waist, thighs, hips and buttocks.
- Upper arm lift – This procedure involves the removal of excess flabby skin from the arms.
- Thigh lift – Also known as thighplasty involves the removal of extra skin and fat from a thing leaving a well toned proportional thigh.
- Panniculectomy – This procedure involves the removal of excess skin from the lower abdomen only.
- Full body lift – Involves the removal of excessive skin from different parts of the body.
Skin removal surgery procedures can be very extensive and require anesthesia. It is imperative to understand that you will be left with scars after the surgery even though surgeons try as much as possible to hide them. After deciding to have a loose skin surgery, it is best to consult with a surgeon in order to determine which procedures should be done and the best time to do them.
Dr. Berzin will be with you throughout the entire process of identifying the best procedures for your particular situation. Everyone is different, so call for a free consultation with Dr. Berzin, setup an appointment and discuss your options for moving forward.